What is the Raila Odinga Virus?
The Raila Odinga virus causes this pop-up to appear: “Vote Raila Odinga, the Hummer (Nyundo) for President 2007.” All infected machines have the following programs disabled:
• Control Panel
• Task Manager
• The ‘Run’ Command
• The Command Prompt
Raila Odinga also hits Microsoft word files. It manifests itself as a .jpg file, often found on the user’s desktop. The virus also causes issues with software installation, hidden files, removable drives, and Internet access. Restarting the infected computer under ‘Safe’ mode does not resolve the problem.
The virus displays a picture of Raila Odinga upon infection. It copies itself onto your system. The Raila Odinga .exe file then replicates itself into the Windows directory and establishes a registry entry.
The Raila Odinga virus has the following characteristics:
• Deleting the file does not eliminate the virus. It returns to its previous location after deletion.
• The virus runs from the system32 driver folder.
• It automatically runs at System Startup.
• The infected computer boots slowly and hangs.
• The virus creates new .exe folders in your system. How to Remove the Raila Odinga Virus:
1. Go to ‘My Computer’ and double-click on drive C.
2. Open the Windows folder, and double-click on the system32 folder.
3. Open the driver folder and find the anomalous word file. Note its name.
4. Point your mouse cursor to the task bar, and right-click.
5. Access the Task Manager, and click on the ‘Process’ tab.
6. Find the file with the same name as the word file you located earlier, and click on ‘End Process.’
7. Go to the system32 driver folder where the file is located. Erase all MS Word files in said folder. Close the aforementioned folder.
8. Determine where the Raila Odinga .jpg file is. Erase the file.
9. Do not double-click on the picture file.
10. Empty the Recycle Bin.
11. Restart your computer.