IF IT IS AN INFECTION READ THIS... How did I get infected in the first place? - Geeks to Go!
But I have anti-malware...
1. any anti-malware is not infallible
2. you need two or three on board, so that if something slips through one, it wiill most likely get caught by the next line of defense
3. computers are no infallible either...they are as dumb as a brick and their only saving grace is speed or operation and then the is also dependent upon certain factors...they are as smart and secure as you make them.
4. after you download and install, and use sysclean, then be sure you have the following installed and operational and then updated...
5. the best anti-virus you can afford...AVG is free... I use PC-cillin Internet Security, along with Trend's Anti-Spyware, a separate program
6. the best anti-malware you can afford...Spybot: Search and Destroy to start, then maybe one or two others.
7. Trend's HiJackThis
8. which ever firewall comes with your OS...don't run more than one at a time, and be sure you are using the best
9. check syschat's suggestions for freeware and check "http://www.geekstogo.com/" as well for freeware and advice...
O.k., let's run sysclean...download and read the readme file...
SYSCLEAN from Trend Micro: Trend Micro Be sure to read the readme.txt before using
...from there on it's easy!
"If you are not a Trend Micro customer please download the following file.
Sysclean Package 3.1MB MD5 checksum: ed3e896a8e3652eb516893f6010104a1 *SysClean.com
NOTE: For instructions on how to use this package, consult the "How to Use" section of the readme file, readme_sysclean.txt. This file also contains the description and the different features of this package.
Note that for the Trend Micro Sysclean Package to be effective, you must download and place the latest pattern file in the same folder as the Trend Micro Sysclean Package."
Trend Micro: Trend Micro
"Virus Pattern Files / Cleanup Templates
The Virus pattern file protects customers against viruses.
The Virus cleanup template automatically removes the virus from the customer's system.
* Virus Pattern File (Official Pattern Release) - 4.633.00 << for normal use
[the next one has intermediary files not part of the older update above, and which will be part of the normal update in future...]
>> * Virus Pattern File (Controlled Pattern Release) - 4.634.17
You may run this in both regular mode or safe mode. I would suggest safe mode so that no running progs get in the way, or slow things down. The process, depending upon the size of your system could take up to 45 minutes. It is very thorough and examines every file. It kills on the go. When it first starts up you'll think that it will blow up...it unloads hundreds of wee killers...go make a sandwich
Don't worry about the reboot. Have your XP startup floppies at the ready...you will need 6 floppies and they go in one at a time, just follow the prompts to a reboot and startup... How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
Once you are back in business, get that registry cleaned up...