Fast Antivirus 2009 (which is also known as FastAntivirus2009), is yet another bogus software disguised as an anti-spyware application. It originates from the same group as Virus Shield 2009 and Malware Catcher. This program vouches to identify and remove infectious spyware and malware, among other malicious code. Fast Antivirus 2009 installs itself into a system and displays fake pop-up security and system alerts. Clicking on any of these counterfeit alerts will let the application into your computer. It is promoted by way of malware scanners and fake advertisements online.
Upon the covert installation of Fast Antivirus 2009, the application ‘scans’ the infected computer and displays bogus infections and their associated alerts on-screen. The program will also say that cleanup of any ‘infections’ will only be possible via a purchase of Fast Antivirus 2009. This program is, suffice to say, a scam; and as thus should be removed from the system as soon as possible. Below are the steps on how to manually remove Fast Antivirus 2009 from your computer:
Manual Removal of Fast Antivirus 2009
1. Stop the operation of the Fast Antivirus 2009 process. Simultaneously press the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys for access to the Windows Task Manager. You can also open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Escape. Select the FastAntivirus2009.exe file, and activate the ‘End Process’ option.
2. Identify and delete the following Fast Antivirus 2009 files. Go to your desktop and click on ‘Start’. Afterwards, go to ‘Search’, and then to the ‘For Files and Folders’ option. Enter the listed files and select ‘Local Hard Drives’. The C: drive is usually the drive involved.
• c:\Program Files\FastAntivirus2009\FastAntivirus2009.exe
• c:\Program Files\FastAntivirus2009\FastAntivirus2009.url
• %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\FastAntivirus2009
• %UserProfile%\Start Menu\FastAntivirus2009.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\FastAntivirus2009\FastAntivirus2009. lnk
• %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\FastAntivirus2009\FastAntivirus2009 Website.lnk
• C:\%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Fast Antivirus 2009 2009.lnk
• C:\%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Fast Antivirus 2009 2009.lnk
• c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\7c69f0c
• c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\7c69f0c\FastAntivirus2009.exe
• c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\7c69f0c\SystemFeed
• c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\7c69f0c\SystemFeed\vd952342.bd
• c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SystemFeed
• c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SystemFeed\mctch.ini
• C:\%UserProfile%\Application Data\Fast Antivirus 2009 2009
• C:\%UserProfile%\Application Data\Fast Antivirus 2009 2009\Instructions.ini
• C:\%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Fast Antivirus 2009 2009.lnk
• C:\%UserProfile%\Desktop\Fast Antivirus 2009 2009.lnk
3. Remove the Fast Antivirus 2009 registry values.
Go to ‘Start’, and then ‘Run’ on your desktop for Windows XP operating systems. Enter ‘regedit’ within the search box, and click on ‘Ok’ to open the Registry Editor. You can also navigate the Registry Editor by using the subkey (if you know the value you need to edit). Simultaneously pressing the Ctrl and F keys will also work for finding the subkey.
Go to ‘Start’ and enter ‘regedit’ in the box to open the Registry Editor for Windows Vista operating systems.
Remove the following value: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run “FastAntivirus2009″
Amending registry keys is complicated, so it may not bode well for your system if any errors are made in the process. Creating a registry or system backup before performing any drastic alterations is recommended before undergoing the aforementioned procedure.