Or, how to prevent all those migranes from happening so often...
I'll share my schedule and the soft-ware I use...free wherever possible, but the "free-ness" must match the work load and the expectations I have for what needs to be done, and how well the soft-ware does it.
And I am sure that others will have their favourite progs to share with the readers...
This process is called for in my situation because I do a lot of software testing...installing and uninstalling, trouble-shooting, etc.. and assisting clients with their computer problems...
Action: religious adherence...more so when called for...
1. defrag... monthly
2. scandisk... monthly
3. general clean-out... weekly
4. specific clean-out... daily
5. malware scan, after every download session...the whole Download Folder
6. virus scan, after every download session..each specific prog, and immediatelly prior to opening the file to install
7. driver update... monthly
8. redundant files... monthly
9. general malware scan of entire system... weekly, just in case something slipped in under the radar...run while I am sleeping
10. general virus scan... bi-weekly, just in case something slipped in under the radar...run while I am sleeping
11. whatever I have forgotten to list above...
Tools: some free-ware, some pay-ware...try to find freeware if you can...
1. Registry First Aid-Platinum Ed.
2. PC-cillin Internet Security and Anti-Spyware
3. Spybot-Search & Destroy
4. Windows Defender
5. Windows Malware Removal Tool
8. HiJack This
10. Buzof -Internet Popup Controller
11. Process Explorer
12. The Ultimate Troubleshooter-TUT
13. a-squared [underpinning for MS anti-malware progs]
15. Driver Magic and Driver Genius
16. Everest Home Ed.
18. Unlocker Assistant