I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I make any familiar newbie mistakes.
My problem is this: My computer seems to be on a yo-yo of speed. At times, its speed isn't too bad, but most of the time, the speed is extremely slow...the hard drive is constantly crunching away at something. For instance, when I got up this morning, the computer ran great for about five minutes. I was browsing Scribd (had two windows open). All of the sudden, my computer went into slow motion time. Below is a list of how slow this thing gets.
1. After I hit the "home" button to begin a search for slow computer problems, it took well over a minute to bring my home page up.
2. After I downloaded Hijackthis, I clicked on the Internet Explorer button to come back to this web site...it took 3 minutes and 37 seconds for my computer to load my home page.
3. Once I registered on this page, I clicked on the new private message button...it took 1 minute and 12 seconds to load the page.
4. Sometimes, the computer gets so slowed down that the screen flashes to black and slowly begins to display everything again.
5. Sometimes, a white, somewhat translucent filter covers the screen. At the top, in parenthesis, the Explorer bar reads (Not Responding). It stays like this for at least a minute or more before coming around.
I'm pretty sure that my computer is running on 512 Mb of memory...of which task manager says I'm using around 77% of it at any given time. Of course, when I ctrl/alt/del for task manager, it takes around 2 to 3 minutes for it to come up...
Anyway, I downloaded and ran Hijackthis. I read that someone might be able to help if I posted my scan results. Here they are:
I just want to thank anyone in advance for offering any help. I'm beginning to think that I just need to buy a new computer. I hope that you all have a great day.