Here's how i Partitioned my HD's:
1. Obtain a copy of KNOPPIX (A Linux Live CD) [Download and burn it to CD, or buy it]
2. Boot the Disc
3. Run a program called "qtparted"
This program should have the ability to resize a windows (NTFS) partition
4. Click on /dev/hda1 in the side bar
5. Right click on the partition you want to modify and select the option you want (resize is a good idea here)
WARNING: Back up anything important on your HD before you do this
6. When this is done reboot into windows and run "chkdsk"
Also you can delete the HP Recovery Partition, it only really has the manufacturer's junk which can help restore the system (but to me it is a pain and a waste of space)
If this fails then tell me and i'll tell u a more techy way