Additional display in your PC won't increase productivity though it may help your computing life much easy.
Many users these days use multi-monitor display to either view files from one side and work on the other.
Nowadays monitor comes with a plug and play feature so you don't need to install additional software.
Windows XP made it easy, here are the steps:
- Plug the additional monitor to the second Video Out port. (If your video card doesn't have one, you have to install another card.)
- From your desktop right-click properties and a Display Properties window will pop up.
- Click the Settings tab, Set to two displays for an extra large desktop.
- You will see a grayed-out box at the right side of the black box, this will indicate that a second monitor is plugged. Click on the grayed area and check the next box “Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor” this will enable it.
- You can now adjust the attributes like the resolution and location of the second monitor from here.