SysChat

SysChat (http://www.syschat.com/forum.php)
-   Computer Games (http://www.syschat.com/gaming-support/computer-games/)
-   -   Games won't download or install (http://www.syschat.com/games-wont-download-or-install-4174.html)

Daugust 01-04-2009 01:17 PM

Games won't download or install
 
I frequently download game trials that run for an hour - sometimes I buy them. I never had any problem doing this, except that some games needed a better graphics card than I had, no biggie.

Suddenly none of these games, whether I buy them or not, will download or install. Here's what happens:

I find a game, sometimes Comcast Chill, sometimes BigFish Games. I click on download, the file window opens that shows the little papers flying from one file to another. Suddenly the papers will stop flying and the window closes. Then nothing happens.

When the download window is open, it says it is being saved to TEMP files, but I can't find it anywhere, even if I use <search> to find it. I can find the TEMP files but they are always empty.

I'm using VISTA on a laptop. This is the computer I've always used to do this. I tried emailing both companies tech support but I'm not getting any answers.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

lurkswithin 01-05-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daugust (Post 13530)
I frequently download game trials that run for an hour - sometimes I buy them. I never had any problem doing this, except that some games needed a better graphics card than I had, no biggie.

Suddenly none of these games, whether I buy them or not, will download or install. Here's what happens:

I find a game, sometimes Comcast Chill, sometimes BigFish Games. I click on download, the file window opens that shows the little papers flying from one file to another. Suddenly the papers will stop flying and the window closes. Then nothing happens.

When the download window is open, it says it is being saved to TEMP files, but I can't find it anywhere, even if I use <search> to find it. I can find the TEMP files but they are always empty.

I'm using VISTA on a laptop. This is the computer I've always used to do this. I tried emailing both companies tech support but I'm not getting any answers.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Either you have changed the security programs that allowed you to download and install the games..or you have disabled the pop-up that asks for the permissions to do so and you are not seeing the permissions to check yes!

Daugust 01-05-2009 09:33 PM

Thanks Lurks - but it gets better! My son said to try downloading Firefox, that I may be able to download games with that. So I figured, what the heck, and went to download MOzilla Firefox. However, the same exact thing that I described in my first post happens to mozilla as well. The little papers start flying (as it starts to download), then suddenly the papers stop and the window closes. I can't find Mozilla anywhere on the computer.

I did go and check to see if I checked a popup blocker or changed security settings and everything seems good to go.

I did run Auslogics boost speed a week or so before this all started happening, but I've run that many times before with no problems.

What the Heck!!!

Daugust

lurkswithin 01-06-2009 02:08 AM

Can you download any other programs ? Or does this happen to them as well?

Have you ran a full anti-virus scan and rootkit scan

(please read this and try to download scanner)
RootkitRevealer

Some viruses display this attribute and stop the downloading of any files that may be used to remove them...some games use scripting that is similar to the scanners.

There maybe an issue with your IE program that is disallowing downloads. Have you looked into uninstalling the IE and then reinstalling it!

Daugust 01-08-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurkswithin (Post 13543)
Can you download any other programs ? Or does this happen to them as well?

Have you ran a full anti-virus scan and rootkit scan

(please read this and try to download scanner)
RootkitRevealer

Some viruses display this attribute and stop the downloading of any files that may be used to remove them...some games use scripting that is similar to the scanners.

There maybe an issue with your IE program that is disallowing downloads. Have you looked into uninstalling the IE and then reinstalling it!

I'm going to try uninstalling IE. I've checked all security options, even the wireless router. I tried to download Rootkit Revealer and that didn't work. Just like the games, it just stopped installing.

Do you think that Auslogics One Button may have deleted a registry, cookie or something? I did scan through the Rescue section of Auslogics, but I can't tell if anything there had anything to do with game installation.

Thanks, as always.

lurkswithin 01-09-2009 03:01 AM

There could be a problem with permissions....
The easiest way to check this is to create another user account with admin priviledges. Then see if it allows you to download any of the programs. If it does then permissions is your problem...report back and we will tell you how to repair that problem!

Daugust 01-10-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurkswithin (Post 13597)
There could be a problem with permissions....
The easiest way to check this is to create another user account with admin priviledges. Then see if it allows you to download any of the programs. If it does then permissions is your problem...report back and we will tell you how to repair that problem!

Well, tried that - it didn't work. The same thing happened on the new user account. What else? :sconfused:

Daugust 01-10-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurkswithin (Post 13597)
There could be a problem with permissions....
The easiest way to check this is to create another user account with admin priviledges. Then see if it allows you to download any of the programs. If it does then permissions is your problem...report back and we will tell you how to repair that problem!

Well, tried that - it didn't work. The same thing happened on the new account. What else? :sconfused:

squirrelnmoose 01-10-2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Do you think that Auslogics One Button may have deleted a registry, cookie or something?
They do make programs that 'clean' the registry which could definitely give you strange symptoms like this.

From their website
Quote:

Question:
What are risk levels in Registry Cleaner and Track Eraser?
Answer:
Some programs on the Internet, such as registry cleaners or disk cleaners try to find as many "problems" in a computer as possible, trying to impress the user. However, this is not always safe, as removing some of the "problems" will make the computer unstable. Therefore, BoostSpeed does not follow this trend, and only cleans "green" (safe) items by default. Novice users should only clean these items. Experienced users, who know more about Windows file system and the Registry can also choose to scan "orange" and "red" categories.

Also from their website

Quote:

Question:
What exactly does Auslogics PCSecurity do?
Answer:

Windows XP and newer versions include some services that can be the cause of attacks on your computer. They are called "Remote Registry" and "Messaging Service". PCSecurity disables these services, thus protecting your computer from those particular types of attacks.
These services are rarely used. Disabling them won't cause any system malfunctions. Moreover, whenever you need to use these services again, you can disable security either straight from the program or via Recovery Centre.
Please note that disabling these services doesn't cause any connection problems, affects neither Internet speed, nor any other system functions.

Try disabling that PCSecurity 'feature'.
If it made a registry backup, restore that, or use windows restore feature from the control panel and restore to a date when it was working correctly.

lurkswithin 01-10-2009 03:25 AM

1) If by chance that you have windows defender installed...uninstall it through add/remove....There have been instances that Windows Defender has caused this type of error.

2) In internet options > General tab.....delete all files and cookies and history and if prompted all offline content as well.
***********************
There might be an issue with the index.dat file and it may need to be deleted...
***********************
from Microsoft:
To work around this problem, move your Temporary Internet Files folder to another location, delete the old folder, and then (if you want to) move your Temporary Internet Files folder back to the original location:
1)In either My Computer or Windows Explorer, create a new folder.
2)In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the Tools menu.
3)On the General tab, click Settings under Temporary Internet Files.
4)In the Settings dialog box, click Move Folder under Temporary Internet Files folder.
5)Click the folder that you created in step 1, and then click OK.
6)If you are prompted to log off, click Yes, and then log on to Windows again. If you are not prompted to log off, click OK to close all of the dialog boxes.
7)In either My Computer or Windows Explorer, delete the old Temporary Internet Files folder, and then create a new folder in the same location with the same name.
8)Repeat steps two through six again, but in step five, click to select the new folder that you created in step seven.
NOTE: You must repeat this process when logged on as each user of the computer.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Copyright © 2005-2013 SysChat.com


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54