SysChat

SysChat (http://www.syschat.com/forum.php)
-   Operating Systems (http://www.syschat.com/software-support/operating-systems/)
-   -   Programs Download in Windows Vista (http://www.syschat.com/programs-download-in-windows-vista-3634.html)

benzaloy 06-21-2008 05:21 AM

Programs Download in Windows Vista
 
I am having laptop that is running on Windows Vista.

I wish to download certain programs that I was using with my old laptop.

For exMPLE a Chess Game or a Dictionary.

The download takes place and am unable to locate the downloaded zip folder.

They were saved as Applications.

Could you please show me a method by which I could download and install
programs in Vista.

I shall appreciate a detailed instruction as am new to computer operation.

Thank you,

saumi_a 06-21-2008 06:28 AM

Even on search do they not appear?
If you are downloading from internet they will be in C:/users/<ur username>/downloads
There is not much difference in download procedure.

I hope I got you correctly.

lurkswithin 06-21-2008 02:31 PM

As in windows XP there is an ability to change the downloads destination...

to save time always download ansSAVE the file. When you save then use the browse option to change the destination. I create a new folder and store it on my desktop and all ways save to that folder. easy to find and easy to move to when the need arises.

Wombat 06-21-2008 05:36 PM

Here we go again...

benzaloy 06-21-2008 09:36 PM

Programs Download in Windows Vista
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lurkswithin (Post 11553)
As in windows XP there is an ability to change the downloads destination...

to save time always download ansSAVE the file. When you save then use the browse option to change the destination. I create a new folder and store it on my desktop and all ways save to that folder. easy to find and easy to move to when the need arises.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lurkswithin, Sir, You are a wonder ... That's ok now. Downloading is working perfectly.

Is it possible to undo this Vista that came with the pc and install the old XP in this pc ???

I have 1000s of questions to ask............just when I was getting used to the old pc, my daughter and her hubby bought me this Acer laptop ... and took away the old Toshiba for their son of 7 yrs..........lovely chap.
This life time of mine isn't enough to learn this Vista and I can't take it with me when I leave ... it would be soon too, now that my score is 70 not out yet.

About Norton anti-virus, I will post it anew.

A googlle ad here says : Fix Windows Vista Driver
Free Download - takes 2 minutes.

What does this do???

And what is a DRIVER ???

Please forgive my less-than-basic Qns ...

I am only a few days old in Vista and have had
two sleepless nights already ...

Please help me ..............and I may come up with
some more of these everyday.

Is it ok with you and SysChat ???


Thank you, Sir, kindly stick by me as I understand you better,
ben aloysius

lurkswithin 06-22-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benzaloy (Post 11556)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lurkswithin, Sir, You are a wonder ... That's ok now. Downloading is working perfectly.

Is it possible to undo this Vista that came with the pc and install the old XP in this pc ???

I have 1000s of questions to ask............just when I was getting used to the old pc, my daughter and her hubby bought me this Acer laptop ... and took away the old Toshiba for their son of 7 yrs..........lovely chap.
This life time of mine isn't enough to learn this Vista and I can't take it with me when I leave ... it would be soon too, now that my score is 70 not out yet.

About Norton anti-virus, I will post it anew.

A googlle ad here says : Fix Windows Vista Driver
Free Download - takes 2 minutes.

What does this do???

And what is a DRIVER ???

Please forgive my less-than-basic Qns ...

I am only a few days old in Vista and have had
two sleepless nights already ...

Please help me ..............and I may come up with
some more of these everyday.

Is it ok with you and SysChat ???


Thank you, Sir, kindly stick by me as I understand you better,
ben aloysius

I am complemented but please refrain from addressing your posts just to me. I do not have all the answers and I make my share of mistakes. Someone else out there may have a better answer and/or and easier way of doing something than me...addressing directly to me will keep others from posting and this is an open forum

The best information I can give you about your many questions here is to use common sense...
never download something without a very good reference from a very trusting person and even then you must have reservations :sbiggrin:

Learn to use search functions and Google or ASK.com or other search engines
There are many great articles about the operations and use of computers...but even then read more than one article as there are some that are older than either you or me! Technology is changing faster than I can keep up with it.
Found a promising program or application to make things better for your personal computing experience....google the program and read about it and preferably from third parties. No company will bad mouth their own product including Microsoft. So look for what others have to say. There are many emagazines that do evaluations and research on things as they come out or while in beta testing...read the reports.

Quote:

A googlle ad here says : Fix Windows Vista Driver
Free Download - takes 2 minutes.
I have no idea what it does as it is just too generic

Quote:

And what is a DRIVER ???
the first answer to the google search: What is a driver
Windows Vista Help: What is a driver?

benzaloy 06-22-2008 08:45 PM

Programs Download in Windows Vista » Reply to Thread
 
Thank you Sir, I shall use google and ask and also read up in emagazines b4 I come to syschat.
Now i know a Driver is a program that does work.
I had a hazy idea that am doing the wrong thing by addressing you personally.
I am sorry and there won't be anymore repetitions in future.

lurkswithin 06-22-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benzaloy (Post 11578)
Thank you Sir, I shall use google and ask and also read up in emagazines b4 I come to syschat.
Now i know a Driver is a program that does work.
I had a hazy idea that am doing the wrong thing by addressing you personally.
I am sorry and there won't be anymore repetitions in future.

No problem! I enjoy the complement and all but it is for everyone's benefit that it be kept as open forum.

I also didn't mean for you to do all those things before coming or using SysChat. WhaT I forgot to say was that following the posts in the Forums is also a great way to learn. It will sometimes save you lots of time from searching the subject yourself as someone lse has probably all ready done it and you can evaluate what is being discussed and learn what was the correct proceedure or whether that way worked at all!

benzaloy 06-22-2008 11:14 PM

Programs Download in Windows Vista » Reply to Thread
 
Exactly, my thoughts ... It is better to ask someone that knows than inventing the wheel.
Thanks, Sir, no bad feelings.
Your User Guide and hint producer wouldn't bad mouth his product made me delve in and make a diligent search.
Found the User Guides of Acer machine and Windows Vista too.
I enjoyed the interaction here in syschat ... at the same time selfishly forgot that you all maybe overburdened with questions from others too.
My fault....and am sorry,
ben aloy

lurkswithin 06-23-2008 01:05 AM

If, I and the others didn't enjoy helping those that needed it...I assure you we wouldn't be here. I sincerely believe that you are an honest and forthwith person, But there are those that do over tax the system by trickery and deceit in order to just play games that they only know the rules to and/or are solely after ways to steal and cheat their way through life. They are the ones that make it hard on the real members of a forum.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Copyright © 2005-2013 SysChat.com


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54