View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM

About:
Daugust is on a distinguished road

Default I'm throwing it out the window!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonik View Post
Hi,
The probelm that you have mentioned is very common. The first thing that you need to check if the security is enabled on your wireless router or not. Do you have to enter any passkey when you try to connect the notebook wirelessley?
I think I had to enter a passkey when I initially set-up the wirelss laptop. That was a month or so ago, I'm just not sure.

If not then the security is not enabled and there is every possibility that there are other system's on your network who are eating up your bandwith. Because if security is not enabled then anyone who is in that wireless range can connect his system to your network and access internet on your cost!
I see at the bottom of the screen that the Protected Mode is OFF.
This causes your system to run slow because there are other system's accesing your internet connection at the same time.
So get the security enabled and then check the performance.
The second issue could be the router, reset the router ( call the router company and they will help you with that) and if that dosen't work then you will have to update the firmware of the router.
I've reset the router in the past. Isn't that where I just unplug the modem and router for a minute and then plug them in again? I know that resets the IP address, is that what you mean?
There could be a problem with the system's itself. The best thing to check if the system's is to individually connect the system to the network cable ( remove the router from the picture) and then check their performance one by one.
I'm definitely going to try that later today when I have a little more time. I'll let you know about that one. I should tell you that I download torrents for music. WITH the router hooked up I can download but I can't upload files to share them. I have just hooked up the modem to see if that helps with my uploading and it does. Does that help you know the answer to this one?
If the system's work fine when they are directly connected to the network cable then the issue is definately with router and security.
For any further help and tips, feel free to post and I will be glad to answer them.
Any BTW, if you plan to throw the PC then contact me!!
Thanks! I won't throw it out just yet But I'll keep you in mind!