View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 05:02 AM

About:
Gswiss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousTom View Post
Gswiss:

Mine didn't say that explicitly. I made two changes:

- Set "SATA1 Controller Mode" to "IDE" (it had been "RAID" which I don't understand, there's only one drive in this thing...)

-Set "ATA Emulation" to "Combined Mode" (was "Enhanced").

It's a Phoenix BIOS, this is an HP machine also, so I hope you have the same options. Perhaps someone smarter'n'me can comment on the signifigcance of thsoe two settings, but the help seemed to indicate that the settings were more fitting to the hardware at XP's original time frame.

Also, after making these cahnges to the BIOS, I had to go back into Vista and reboot a couple of times (juest for good measure). Vista installed drivers for the "dumbed down" SATA drive, and when I went back to XP it ran. I'm loading drivers and software on the machine this AM.

Best to you,

Dangerous Tom
Thank you for your reply. I am late in answering you because it's only today that I got a notification message from the Syschat server. The BIOS is very stingy on parameters. I finally got around this problem by storing the Disk Controller driver on a diskette and providing it through the F6 procedure at XP installation time with a USB diskette reader.