View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 09:11 PM

About:
VanGogh is on a distinguished road

Help Hanging on first reboot...

Can someone help? I'm not sure what I'm missing...

Target system is a Motorola MW-520 w/10GB hdd & 700MHz PIII. Desired OS is Win2k.

I removed the hdd from the target system & attached via USB-to-IDE to my laptop. The hdd was partitioned & formatted as such using QTParted:
Partition 1 - Primary, approx 8.7GB, FAT32, C:\
Partition 2 - Primary, approx 650MB, FAT32, D:\

I386 folder was copied from Win2k install disc to D:\ (partition 2). Target hdd was then replaced in target system. After doing so, I realized that I forgot to make partition 1 active.

Win98SE bootdisk was used to start target system. On startup, I used fdisk to make partition 1 active. Then smartdrv.exe was run, followed by D:\I386\winnt.exe. All temporary install files are successfully copied to C:\ (partition 1).

After files are copied, Windows indicates that the floppy needs to be removed & the system rebooted for install to continue. After reboot, I get a blank screen staring at me with a lone flashing cursor in the upper left corner. I let the computer sit like this for just over 10 minutes. No prompt, no activity, no nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? Does the system need to sit longer after the first reboot?