View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 06:50 PM

About:
dwmarsh is on a distinguished road

trouble I Tried It Again

Hi Martin,

Well, I tried it again to no avail. In my email, I stated that my Windows CD's are OEM from E Machines. I have heard that the OEM disks do not have repair on them and that you have to get them separately from Microsoft.

Anyway, as you asked, here is what I get on the screen when I boot from the CD:

Microsoft Windows Setup Menu

1. Restore Windows XP
2. Boot to command prompt from CD

(at the bottom is the following)

F5 = Safe Mode Shift + F5= Command Prompt Shift F8=Step by step configuration (n)

As I mentioned in the email, I tried the command prompt but to would not even recognize the C drive. The prompt was for the A drive

I notice them when I hit Shift+F8, it changes the (n) at the end of it to (y).

In April of 2006, my hard drive crashed. I got a new one and has to install XP again. I also noted that it gives you no option but to format the hard drive.

So, if it is necessary, do I have to get the repair files from Microsoft?

I also ran CHKDSK from safe mode and it did it when I restated. It came through clean. My Virus software scan my computer every night along with a spyware scan fro PC Tools Spy Doctor. I also update my definitions in both programs at least twice a week. The virus scan is clean and I get a list of spyware to remove each morning.

So, that's where I am at. This is such a hassle for me and I would like to thank you so very much for all of your help. I will be watching for more ideas.

Thanks again,

Don