View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 PM

About:
HoldemDawg is on a distinguished road

Default XP Install doesn't recognize new partition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered - JimR View Post
I've read all the posts regarding this dual boot issue, but your quoted post particularly caught my attention, as I too had read that XP would need extra drivers, and would not install without them onto an SATA drive. Here is where I am at (not unlike a lot of others here it appears):

1) I have a new Dell with Pre-installed Vista Premium, trying to dual boot with XP Home.
2) Used Vista to partition the C: drive, created an F: drive about 10Gbs (probably more than necessary, not sure, as I do plan on installing some programs that won't run in Vista). I'm not sure, will check later, but think my new F is a Primary Drive.
3) Inserted my XP install CD, rebooted, F12, and it got to the screen than asked to which partition I wanted to use.
4) The only partition listed was c: partition 1(unknown)
5) The new F: partition does not show up. I F3 and fume..... I spent ALL day yesterday futsing around with one issue or another... all a waste thus far.

I see that a few others here are having no problem actually getting XP installed (unlike me) but that getting the the PC to see both OS as a dual boot is the issue. I'll deal with that later if I can just get past my install problem.

Question:

1) Should my new F: partition show up as F: on my XP install? Or is the C: partition 1 (unknown) actually the F: partition in reality, just showing up as C
I had this same problem on my desktop when I installed the dual boot system. I solved the problem by booting into Vista and going into the disk manager via the my computer icon, once there you need to go to "storage" double click, then double click "Disk Management" and look to see if both drives are there. If they are, Delete the XP partition, reboot without a CD in the drive, then go back in and re-create your partiton by shrinking your C drive. Once this is done you should be able reboot this time with your XP CD in the drive and install XP on the new partition.

for some reason my comp had to install then uninstall then reinstall in order for it to recognize the new partition.