Thread: DOS Networking
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 PM

About:
MLJ0 is on a distinguished road

Bill,

By the sounds of it, your Clipper program isn't controlling your printer setup. I make the assumption that you are using either the Print or Copy command in DOS to send a file with some ESCape sequences prior to running the application. You can do the same from a CMD prompt or batch file in XP. For example:

copy filewithprintercommands /b LPT1:
YOURPROG.EXE (start application)

In fact you don't even have to be tied to a parallel port. Your application still needs to talk to your dot-matrix printer (e.g. Okidata 320) but if your computer doesn't have a parallel port adapter, it is possible to work around this. Read an article I wrote for further details:

Windows 7 In the News: Connecting Parallel Port Printers via USB to your new Laptop or Desktop

Hope this helps.
Malcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmahaffey View Post
Malcom,

Please help me out here, printers. We are using dot matrix printers and I use some DOS commands to change fonts and page sizes. Can I make XP send the same commands to the printers as the Clipper program? If so, where do I find
the information?

If I could use XP if would be great. I have enough legal copies of XP and the expertise to install and maintain them.

Thanks,

Bill