Thread: [Question] BSOD/Parity Error
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 11:02 AM

About:
pb9003 is on a distinguished road

Default BSOD/Parity Error

Hi -
I'm having an issue with my ThinkPad R60. Running Win7, ATI-1400 Video, 3MB memory. Using an LG W2242P secondary screen, set as my primary screen, 1680x1080 Resolution. The screen, during use, develops lines of pixels that appear as artifacts, i.e. funny color, not working, whatever. Happens quicker when viewing a video, esp. in full-screen mode, but even when not viewing video. Eventually, which can be days or minutes, the machine blue-screens, error msg "Parity Error" and needs to be restarted. Diagnostics on video say it's fine, all updates to drivers have been taken, etc. Interestingly, if I set the card to view both screens (the LG AND the R60), the artifacts showing up on the LG do NOT show up on the R60 screen. I've also attempted running the system at a lower resolution to see if that made a difference, but it did not. I just discovered the "Performance Information and Tools" in Control panel, and see that the Windows Experience Index is at 3. I've also discovered that when I attempt to run "Re-run the Assessment", as soon as the diagnostic gets to the part about checking for Aero compatibility, I get the BSOD/Parity Error. EVERY time. I'm not running an Aero desktop theme (never did), but of course now I'm positive that something that's running in Win7 is incompatible with my hardware and that's what's causing the problem. I've now hit a brick wall - I don't know what else to check or other diagnostics to run to pinpoint the issue. I do run Sketchup occasionally but that doesn't seem to have any impact one way or the other, and I've stopped any and all services that start begin automatically that are related to that program. Other uses of the computer is basic business stuff - mail, IE, MSOffice. This has been going on for a long time now, and may have begun when I originally upgraded to Win7 although I can't be sure and I for some reason don't think that's when this started. In all other ways the machine is running fine, and if I stop using the LG monitor I don't think I'd have a problem, but who wants to work on a 15" display when a 24" one is sitting right there? Your help would be much appreciated, and I apologize for this long-winded description, but wanted to include info on diagnostics I've already done.

Philip

oh yeah, under "Event Viewer", there are no hardware incidents reported, and this is the only 'suspicious' event in the log: Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date: 5/15/2011 10:01:39 AM
Event ID: 219
Task Category: (212)
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: PhilR60
Description:
The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_0483&PID_2016\5&37c8a9dc&0&2.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />
<EventID>219</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>212</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-05-15T14:01:39.370022600Z" />
<EventRecordID>79587</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="44" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>PhilR60</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="DriverNameLength">36</Data>
<Data Name="DriverName">USB\VID_0483&amp;PID_2016\5&amp; 37c8a9dc&amp;0&amp;2</Data>
<Data Name="Status">3221226341</Data>
<Data Name="FailureNameLength">14</Data>
<Data Name="FailureName">\Driver\WUDFRd</Data>
<Data Name="Version">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>