Thread: [Question] freeze on start. please help
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 01:32 PM

About:
DominicD is on a distinguished road

hi Zajo

i did a bit of research on your computer

This is main support page of HP for your computer (i suggest you keep this bookmarked)
HP TouchSmart IQ524 Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (Canada - English)

This page is for adding and replacing RAM
Adding or Replacing Memory HP TouchSmart IQ524 Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (Canada - English)

This page is for replacing the hard disk
Replacing the Hard Drive HP TouchSmart IQ524 Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (Canada - English)

Per my research on your desktop model, it should be using a sata hard drive

If you have a working desktop that can accommodate attaching the sata hard drive, then that would be the easiest thing to do.

If you are limited to using only a laptop, then you need to purchase a "hard disk sata 3.5 enclosure" that will connect your sata hard disk to a usb cable that will plug into your laptop

this is one of the cheaper priced 3.5 sata enclosures that are availabe:
Sabrent Black 3.5 SATA to eSATA Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure at TigerDirect.com

you can check other brands, they might to as high as $40. theres not much of a difference in features, all sata 3.5 hard disk enclosures basically connect your sata hard drive to its enclosure that has a usb port. that usb port is then to be connected to your laptop. once connected, your laptop detects the hard disk as another "removable storage" device.

the drive will show in the "my computer" screen. from there you can right-click on it and then do a check disk and fix for any errors that it might find.

**when you're able to attach the hard disk to another desktop computer OR able to connect it to your laptop via enclosure, do backup your important files.

i hope this helps, feel free to post your updates on this