Thread: Wired Router
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 02:07 AM

About:
lurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
ok,.

so i have to purchase this:

Dynex® - 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router - DX-E402

and this :

Dynex® - Desktop 10/100 PCI Network Card - DX-E102

and then ... go

cable -> modem -> router -> 2 computers (through ethernet)

and i can be on both the computers internet at the same time, correct?

ALSO. CAN I USE THIS ON MY DELL? I KNOW IT IS TEMP., BUT WHAT DOES IT MATTER?
Apple® - USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter for Apple® MacBook® Air Laptops - MB442Z/A
I am not familiar with that particular brand but if that is where you chose to get it from then that will work. I personally think that you can do much better than what you have shown....Most new routers include a built in firewall which is really great for security purposes...that One I saw no mention of it nor what protocol it is using so i would be wary of that brand...

Newegg.com is one of the safest online stores there are to use and you can get it within a week...

Another one I have used for years is 3B Tech - Buy computer parts, notebooks, desktops, electronics and more! which has everything as free shipping and they have some other good deals all the time!

I personally have used this same router before I upgraded to wireless and it is a heck of a deal for less than $20 US
D-Link DI-604 4-Port Wired Broadband Router for DSL or Cable Modem OEM at 3B Tech - Buy computer parts, notebooks, desktops, & home electronics

and a good price on a network card...$10 US Zonet ZEN3200 PCI 10/100 Network Card Retail at 3B Tech - Buy computer parts, notebooks, desktops, & home electronics

both deals cost less than just the router you wished to buy from BestBuy .

As for the USB adapter....I really don't know if that will work or not....Apple uses different drivers than what windows uses because it is differnt formatting. The driver for that would be for the apple so I just don't know if it would work or not. MY honest guess would be that it wouldn't .