View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 04:46 AM

About:
Hootie10 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm new to this forum - I stumbled upon it when trying to find the answer to my dual boot problem and have been impressed with the quality of information here. I realiase that I'm asking the same question here but to ensure I don't kill my system I need to be sure that my circumstances are the same as the others.

I originally had XP installed then installed Vista on a seperate harddrive set up as dual boot, not realising that it would be difficult to remove XP at a later stage. It would appear that my Drive 0 (XP) contains the MBR info because if I remove this drive - leaving on Drive 1 (Vista) plugged my PC can't boot, even if I change my Vista to the Drive 0 position.

My concern is that if I do as William suggests by inserting the Vista DVD then opt to repair and then use commands 'bootrec.exe /fixmbr' & 'bootrec.exe /fixboot' that it will cause a problem as my MBR appears to be on my Drive 0 (XP drive) and I'll be trying to fix Drive 1 (Vista). Can you confirm that this procedure will 'repair' my Vista drive and allow it to boot independantly. Also, can I perform this procedure with the XP unplugged?

Regards
Hootie