View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 08:08 PM

About:
Ancient is on a distinguished road

Default Reformat Windows XP

Okay;

Few questions about an old computer of mine.

-Windows 2000 (XP)
-256 MB of Ram

This computer is basically full with old junk files and everything you could think of. I want to still use it and I have been thinking about reformatting.

Do I have this all correct here?

Turn on your computer (With disc in). A screen will come up saying “Press any key to boot from disk”. Press any key. Now wait about 10seconds for the setup utility to be loaded. When asked if you want to set up or repair, hit Enter to set up Windows. Read the license agreement and hit F8 if you agree. If the setup program detects an existing installation of Windows and asks if you want to repair it, hit Esc to skip the repair. The setup program will ask you where to install Windows. Highlight the existing "C: Partition1" partition and hit D to delete it. Hit L to confirm. Next, hit Enter to install Windows on the "Unpartitioned Space". Format the space as NTFS - You will get an option to choose full or quik format. My experience is that quick format is for disk that have previously formatted. If the disk has not been formatted, then you will have to use the standard format option. Usually you will get a popup message "This disk can not be quick formatted" or something along that line. Then continue the installation. Please note: During the installation process, your computer will reboot. You will then see a message to press any key to boot from cd. Do not press any key a second time, otherwise the installation will start from scratch again. Complete the next several screens on the setup process and make sure you do not leave the administrator password blank. After following these steps, setup should be complete.

After you have reformatted I am aware that you need to reinstall all of your drivers...does anyone know how many of these I should have on discs? or do I need the discs or can I get them from elsewhere?

Thanks a lot guys,
-Ancient