View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 11:56 PM

About:
rdavis1989 is on a distinguished road

Default Help me please! Installing new parts on computer, need tech help.

Ok, I've got a bit of an issue. I recently (like 30 minutes ago) put a whole bunch of goodies into my computer, but I'm having trouble getting anything to run. The computer starts fine, but it seems like its not reading the hard drive or any disc I put in it. My monitor just stays in its standby mode with the little light on it being orange, and if I try starting it even with my Windows XP disc in the cd drive it still does nothing. I also noticed that when I have my cd drive unplugged from the IDE port on the motherboard, it opens and closes and has power just fine, being hooked up to the power supply only, but as soon as I plug it into the IDE port, the power doesn't work and it won't open or close or do anything any more.. I have a list here of all the new hardware I bought for my computer, maybe someone has an idea why its not working correctly? I've talked to my uncle and cousin both who have built a few computers in the past few years, and they told me to retrace my steps, starting at the very beginning and plug everything in, making sure all the connections are tight and whatnot. I've done this and I'm pretty sure I have everything plugged in right, but It's still not working, mind you this is my first time doing something this big with a computer, normally I just have a friend or family member who knows more than me about computers install any new part I buy, but I figured I might as well give this a shot since nobody else is closeby to overlook. Unfortunately the inevidable has happened and I did something wrong. Heres the new hardware I bought for my computer.

OCZ / GameXStream / 700-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA Ready / SLI Ready / EPS / Active PFC / Power Supply

Thermaltake / Ruby Orb / Socket 775/754/939/940/AM2 / Aluminum Core/Fins / CPU Cooler

OCZ Platinum Revision-2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 x 1024MB)

Asus M2N-SLI Motherboard CPU Bundle - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Processor 3.20GHz Retail

XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX Video Card - 256MB DDR3, PCI Express, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card

Would very much appreciate any help that anyone could offer. Thanks a lot.