SysChat

SysChat (http://www.syschat.com/forum.php)
-   Operating Systems (http://www.syschat.com/software-support/operating-systems/)
-   -   Dual Boot Vista XP and Share My Documents (http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista-xp-share-my-3705.html)

irishblend 07-20-2008 04:59 PM

Dual Boot Vista XP and Share My Documents
 
I have a Vista PC and I am interested in a Dual Boot with XP. With this setup can you share My Documents between the two OS? Could a 3rd partition be added for My Documents and share them there? If so how can this be configured?

Wombat 07-20-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishblend (Post 11836)
I have a Vista PC and I am interested in a Dual Boot with XP. With this setup can you share My Documents between the two OS? Could a 3rd partition be added for My Documents and share them there? If so how can this be configured?

Get Gparted, and setup a small third partition for files you want to share between the two systems.

Follow the instructions on using this tool very carefully...

irishblend 07-20-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wombat (Post 11838)
Get Gparted, and setup a small third partition for files you want to share between the two systems.

Follow the instructions on using this tool very carefully...

I was looking to share My Docments, Music Library, Video Library, Outlook, etc... I looks like Gparted uses a FAT 16 partition.

Is there some way to add a third NTFS partition and point both Vista and XP to is to share the folders between the two OS?

irishblend 07-20-2008 07:56 PM

It loooks like Gparted runs on a FAT 16 partition and is used to dual boot. Vista can handle the dual boot.

I am looking to share files for both Vista and XP to access. I was thinking to add a third NTFS partition and move my Music library, Documents, Video Files, etc... Is this possible to setup?

Wombat 07-20-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishblend (Post 11840)
It loooks like Gparted runs on a FAT 16 partition and is used to dual boot. Vista can handle the dual boot.

I am looking to share files for both Vista and XP to access. I was thinking to add a third NTFS partition and move my Music library, Documents, Video Files, etc... Is this possible to setup?

GParted is a Live Linux operating system. Which can partition / format in all of these various formats.

GParted -- Features


Quote:

Originally Posted by Wombat (Post 11838)
Get Gparted, and setup a small third partition for files you want to share between the two systems.

Follow the instructions on using this tool very carefully...

What part of this do you not understand...

irishblend 07-21-2008 09:18 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I am wondering why to use Gparted to create the third partition? Does this application have some special functionality to share files between Vista and XP? Please explain.

lurkswithin 07-25-2008 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishblend (Post 11849)
Thanks for the reply.

I am wondering why to use Gparted to create the third partition? Does this application have some special functionality to share files between Vista and XP? Please explain.

Gparted is a free tool that will allow one to repartition an all ready formated drive/partition without damaging the data all ready installed on the drive/partition.You can use any other partion managers for the job. It is your choice. ....wombat just suggested Gparted because it is known to work without other complications and is free to use.

Please note that when resizing an existing partition or drive then there is all ways a chance to destroy any and all data previously installed. Third party programs such as Gparted minimize this .


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Copyright © 2005-2013 SysChat.com


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54