View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 02:39 AM

About:
Disgruntled Social Worker is on a distinguished road

Default Computer Hardware trouble

Computer Specifications:
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply

Mother Board: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5200CSBOX

Memory: A-DATA 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1A16K (It had four 1 GB sticks)

Hard Disk Drive: Seagate Barracuda ES ST3750640NS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
DVD Drive: SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L

Video Card: EVGA 512-P2-N773-AR GeForce 8600GTS 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Alright, so originally all these parts were put together with out the video card. When I turned it on, it remained on for quite a while untill I decided to turn it off 10 minutes or so later on. I don't know if there where any problems because the mother board didn't have a default video for a monitor. However it did seem to turn on.

Next, I decided to put in in the video card and I did so. When I tried to turn it on a second time, it turned on but the turned off quite immediatly thereafter. I took out the video card and then tried to turn it on again, the same thing happened.

So I decided to investigate further damange and I found out that the processor was stuck to the heat sync by some greyish residue. I'm assuming that isn't a good thing...
I'm sure it doesn't mean much but the LED in the mother board still shines when the power supply is on.

That's about it. If there is anything you'd ask me to do to help fully diagnose the problem I'm willing.
I'm not sure if the video card wasn't compatable or perhaps the powersupply was not good enough, I'm also wondering if my motherboard might need to be replaced as well as my CPU...

I hope I gave the necessary information...