View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 03:46 PM

About:
cr3at10n is on a distinguished road

Default "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart." HELP ME PLEASES(!) :(

I have a problem that I was wondering whether anyone could help me with. : D

Here's the deal, I am a semi noob when it comes to computing in this sense and this is my situation:

My computer became seriously screwed yesterday and so I restarted it a couple of times by holding the power button - this then did something bad to fundamental parts of the computer. On boot up, my computer would hang at the POST screen just before detecting drives.

I read on the internet to unplug the CMOS battery and replace it. That worked, and the computer now recognizes that I have two 160GB HITACHI Deskstar Sata 2 hard drives, the computer also recognizes that they are in raid 0 configuration.

But when it comes down to booting from these HDDs it gives me the "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart." error. It just tries to boot from CD, then if there are no CDs it tries the Hard disks and I get this error.

I also cannot boot from the XP install CD, it just says "Press any key to boot CD" and when I do it just gives me the disk read error again.

I have absolutely nothing on this computer so I don't have any data to lose, I can do whatever this end so even the most drastic things don't matter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have to offer. : )

My system config is:
Motherboard : ABIT FATAL1TY AN9 32X nForce 590 SLI
CPU : AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Dual Core
Graphics : Gainward Bliss 8800gtx
RAM : 2GB Corsair something or other.