View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 11:08 AM

About:
Delus1on is on a distinguished road

Wow - thanks for the fast response William

I've actually sorted it now. The problem lied in bcdedit where my Vista installation was pointing to the same place as XP Pro. After first running "Bootrec.exe /fixBoot" and "Bootrec.exe /fixMBR" I immmediately ran bcdedit but I think I must have made a typo and edited the file in the wrong way.

I first tried the recovery console before discovering this and it found nothing wrong but I guess it wouldn't as as far as it was concerned it was booting up correctly.

I then booted up with the Vista CD again with a view reinstalling it, but the upgrade option (where I can keep all my files) is only available from within Windows!

I then booted one last time with the Vista CD to take one last look at bcdedit and it was then that I noticed the error. My file showed Vista in {default} not {current} which I thought was ok but it showed the path as /ntldr which I thought was wrong so I edited it again to change just the path. I guessed at the command "bcdedit –set {default} path \windows\system32\winload.exe" as I thought I had nothing to lose if it didn't work... Fortunately it did!

Thanks again for your help. It now works like a dream, all thanks to your article

Kind regards,

Andy