View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 AM

About:
the_man361 is on a distinguished road

trouble thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
hello

i listened to the recording, and to be honest ive never heard of such inconsistent beep codes. something must have really gone wrong..

i suggest you try removing the cmos battery and discharging the motherboard. reattach everything that you can re-attach -- power cables from the motherboard to the PSU, video card, sata/ide connectors
(if you have spare thermal paste, reattach and the cpu fan, heatsink, and processor as well, then apply new thermal paste)

keep the hard disk disconnected as you dont need the hard disk for a successful booting. keeping the hard disk connected while doing a lot of restarts (forced power on and off's) can corrupt the disk.

all these detaching and re-attaching should take some few minutes enough to discharge the motherboard.

attach the original ram sticks that worked fine, and power on the computer.

from the details on the ECS website, your motherboard bios is an "Award BIOS"

per the manual, your motherboard supports DDR2 400 to DDR2 800 type of ram. check that your ram is within the supported range of DDR2 memory.

from this site: AwardBIOS Beep Codes im posting the beep codes:

Good luck on this, and i hope the board /RAM is still under warranty
Thanks for the suggestions

So I've now tried actually completely removing the whole motherboard, disconnecting all connections to the power supply in the process and removed the CMOS battery. I took the CPU heatsink off and cleaned off the thermal compound, added some fresh new stuff and also cleaned the old off the CPU, which I then reseated.

My hard drive and optical drives were already disconnected, because as you mention theyre not vital to boot and display something.

The old RAM is the one I've been using while trying to get some form of life back out of it, and the new RAM is 2x2Gb of Corsair 800MHz DDR2, so should be supported.

Unfortunately the motherboard will be waaay out of warranty I think as I bought it more than 4 years ago.. The RAM, I bought that last week but I'll probably hold onto it because I want to use it

A friend of mine is going to come round with a different power supply to see if that helps at all, but I'm getting the feeling the motherboard is broken, which is annoying because I don't think you can buy AM2 socket mobos any more

Any more suggestions would be really welcome, but I've tried about all I can think of now.