View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 06:54 PM

About:
the_man361 is on a distinguished road

trouble PC will not turn on - bleep codes

Hi there

I got in today with the intention of installing some new RAM (upgrading from a lowly 1gb to 4gb). I installed the new RAM without trying to turn on the PC (2x 2gb sticks) into the bays and tried to turn the computer on.

I got no display on my screen, so tried checking connectors were still in while the machine was on. No joy. I powered it down, firmly pushed the RAM in just incase and gave my GPU a wiggle. I noticed one of the RAM sticks was pretty damn hot, and the PC had probably only been powered for a couple of minutes.

Then I tried turning back on again and got some bleep code errors. Oh dear. I turn it off, wait a bit, back on. Another bleep code, but this time different. I take the new RAM out and put my old RAM back in how it was before. Still the same problems.

I try putting in one of the new RAM sticks, still no luck, seemingly random bleep errors. I take the heatsink off and reattach it, still no luck. I take the heatsink off, remove the CPU and reseat... still no luck.

I've now disconnected the DVD drive, SATA drive and removed the graphics card and I'm still getting bleeps. The CPU fan spins, as does the power supply fan.

I tried to record the tones (turned on and off 4 times) and each time it's different! :/ Theres a soundcloud link here: Bleep tests PC by Chris Core on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

The motherboard is a RS485M-M, the manual is:
http://eudownload.ecs.com.tw/dlfileecs/ ... 485M-M.zip

The motherboard product page (RS485M-M socket AM-2):
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite_2007/P ... =1&LanID=0

As someone who works in IT (though not desktop support) I'm really stumped! Can anybody identify the bleep codes, or suggest anything else to try? Pretty much exhausted all my options as far as I can think Help is very much appreciated!