View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 12:43 AM

About:
WHD2 is on a distinguished road

Default "Reconfiguring" Windows 2000 to recognize/accept printer

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

I have 2 computers. Both are on a router and both are connected to the printer via the router. I previously installed the HP software for the 6310 Officejet All-in-one when the computer had Windows 98 and it easily accepted my Dell Optiplex with Windows XP Professional. Now I am getting error messages on my Dell XPS which had the operating system changed to Windows 2000 that say the printer is not connected! But the printer is most certainly connected! And I have now one more error message when I try to install from the HP CD. ERROR MESSAGES:

1.) This application failed to initialize properly (Oxc0006). Click on OK to terminate the application.

2.) HPZSETUP.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. (There is also a "cancel" key, which when clicked on eliminates the message. The HP set up already disappeared when the error message came on.)

3.) setup.exe - Bad Image The application or DLL E:\xmlparse.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette. OK

I brought the computer back to the store and the chief Geek Squad technician told me: "(I) asked to have the operating system changed to Windows 2000 but that did NOT include making it function normally! You need to have your computer reconfigured to make it recognize and accept your printer!! Windows operating systems will NOT just accept printer software but most need to have their software 'reconfigured.' (!) To make it accept your printer we will have to send a technician out to your apartment and it will cost another $150.00" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That cost much more than I originally paid for the printer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Emphasis added!)

In addition to attempting to install the printer on my own with the HP CD software and trying to get it to recognize the printer I spent about 45 minutes downloading the HP software for this printer from the Internet also but that also failed due to configuration problems according to the error messages!!! As I mentioned the newly installed Windows 2000 operating system does not even detect the printer when I try to Add Printer!

I think that it can not be ruled out that the Geek Squad may have DELIBERATELY DISCONFIGURED my newly installed Windows 2000 operating system so that it would not even recognize a printer on the network OR installed directly. Their entire track record up to this point, accept when I actually stood over them, raises that as a distinct possibility! This would insure that they might have a chance at increasing the Best Buy fee for the work they finally did but ONLY when I stood over them as mentioned above! Now I am informed that I must pay another $150 to have my Geek Squad-installed Windows 2000 operating system "reconfigured." ???????

Thank you very much if you can solve this problem which should be a snap for anyone who knows what he or she is doing.