View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 AM

About:
William_Wilson has a spectacular aura aboutWilliam_Wilson has a spectacular aura aboutWilliam_Wilson has a spectacular aura about

Default Issues installing Windows XP without drives

I am starting this thread on behalf of Brie987, so that others with similar issues will be able to find this information.

Previous conversations:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie987
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie987
Hi, I came across your tutorial of "Install Windows XP without floppy or cd drives" and it was helpful to the extent that I got all the parts to do it. I am using a Dell 8100 desktop. When I boot it recognizes the laptop harddrive in the Bios but not the primary, I am new to this but do you keep a primary hardrive with an OS in the desktop? I had the impression that this would install an OS as if the laptop harddrive was the primary drive.
I hope you do get this as the posting was awhile ago. Thank you for your time with this matter.
You can keep a drive in the desktop, but if you are installing DOS, I would suggest unplugging it. This will prevent you from possibly damaging any data on it and should force the desktop to use the laptop drive as the primary. Feel free to start a thread in the forum if you have any further issues.
Hi William sorry for writing to you privately but I am just stuck on the last "run" at the end with my hhd is back in the laptop. the final two run command lines are c:\smartdrv.exe goes thru, I get a disc cache status but the final command line c:\i386\winnt.exe will not load I keep getting "Bad command or file name". It boots perfectly in the desktop. Thanks for your help and sorry about not writing this in the forum I just dont know where to start and I have come all this way. Thanks again. If you could send me a link to the forum thread that I should be in that would be great too.

</Dream In Code>
-William. ยง (marvin_gohan)