View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 AM

About:
lurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by status1 View Post
"You cannot install windows XP or any later windows versions on a drive connected to one computer , remove the drive and insert it into another computer and expect it to work. It is not like Windows 98 where swapping harddrives is permissable. In XP it doesn't work!"

Wow ! That's intersting That's something I did not know .I didn't realize windows xp is that much different then windows 98
So you are saying that if for some reason I have to replace or I want to upgrade the motherboard I have to reinstall windows ?
Xp cannot detect and install vew hardware like windows 98 ?
That doesn't sound good to me
I thinl I will hold on to windows 98 a while longer

I was thinking of trying the GAG, the Graphical Boot Manager but if it cannot be swapped to a different pc then it probably won't do me any good

Just out of curiosity would xp have the same problem of not booting if it's installed in a different computer if it's installed on drive d and windows 98 is on drive c ?
In other words if I take the drive that is dual booted with windows 98 and xp
and install it in a different computer I would be able to boot with windows 98 but not xp withut reinstalling it
?
1) yes, replacing the motherboard devalues the hardware check and will cause the operating system to not work and need to be reinstalled and re-activated....although there is an option that will allow to bypass the re-activation but only if you follow the proccedures using Sysprep exactly.

2)Actually XP plug and play qualities are much better than 98...installing new hardware is not the problem...it is the ant-piracy hardware validation checks that are the issue...

3)In a dual boot situation that you describe The answer will be that 98 may not boot either...In dual booting XP with other operating systems and using the Microsoft boot manager then there are certain proceedures that must be followed.....
(A) the oldest operating system must be installed first...then xp can be installed
(B) The boot manager will use the Master Boot Record of XP and overwrite the MBR of 98 in the dual boot installation and the validations are somewhere in between so that 98 may not boot either......I have never tried it and am not 100% sure on that part but the XP will not boot in any case!

In the same scenario using GAG then you could pull 98 and hot swap it to another system at any time using GAG or to a new single boot system....not to a dual boot with M$ boot manager though. XP is not swapable.