View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 AM

About:
bbwatt is on a distinguished road

Default Error message CDBOOT1.IMG not found

Thanks to Squirrelmoose’s and Lurkswithin’s suggestions I realised that the win2kpro_makebt32.exe was probably sending back error messages but I did not see these because the DOS command box was closing immediately.

Therefore I opened a DOS commend prompt box, navigated to the “2000 Boot Disk” directory on the desktop and ran win2kpro_makebt32.exe.
When the program asked for “Please specify the floppy drive to copy the images to :” I pressed “a”. The following messages appeared in the DOS command box:

CANNOT FIND FILE: CDBOOT1.IMG
CANNOT FIND FILE: CDBOOT2.IMG
CANNOT FIND FILE: CDBOOT3.IMG
CANNOT FIND FILE: CDBOOT4.IMG

Using 7Zip to look at the files inside win2kpro_makebt32.exe shows files named:
1. .data
2. .degug0
3. .rsc
4. an unnamed text file, apparently of parameters.

To check that the error was not due to the external diskette drive I ran “DIR a:”. The disk span and the screen confirmed there was a diskette with no files on it.

In the Microsoft Knowledge Base the only entry found for CDBOOT.IMG referred to creating boot disks for a virtual Windows 2000 machine on an Apple Mac.

I am trying to create the boot disks on a Dell Insperon, running XP, with internal CD drive and external diskette. There are no files named CDBOOT1.IMG on the Dell’s C: drive.

It seems that another tool is needed to create the diskette files and creat a bootable disk. Any ideas?