Thread: Lag Spike
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 07:31 AM

About:
lurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempA View Post
I searched and could not find any firmware download (except third-party) for my router.

It's a WRT54G v5
This router is a nuetered router....Broadcom BCM5352EKPB Chipset - Switched to VxWorks OS and reduced Flash Memory and RAM; meaning that the memory and flash ram was cut in half and this was known to have caused some sluggishness in the model 5 and 6 versions.

The VxWorks Operating system was first used in this model of routers and some later models because of the embedded cpu and proprietary issues involved...There were no firmware upgrades till the VxWorkskiller was developed and allowed some third party venders to hack the system and open up the RAM and Flash memory. This cleared the slugginess that was reported built in the routers. The problem lies in performing the firmware upgrades because it can kill the router very easily if performed wrong or done on the wrong version/model.

You can try the third party firmware upgrade at your own risk but I would suggest saving some money and purchasing a newer router since that one was first brought out about 7 years ago. and the firmware upgrades are from 3 and 4 years ago....