View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 04:02 AM

About:
lurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicho View Post
hi, I would like to clean my computer, but I don't know the steps to follow, I got the recovery disk,I,m using XP media center edition 2005. thanks
That is the very first step....when in doubt ask first!

This is what I use and do to keep my system clean from all garbage. Everything is free to use for personal use, so you don't have to buy a thing.

First off create a folder on your desktop by right clicking an open area of the desktop and clicking new then folder. Name the new folder
clean up programs

Now download and save these programs to the new folder.

SpywareBlaster

CCleaner

ATF Cleaner Download - Softpedia

Install the programs, look for the update button and update to the latest version/files. Then run the programs...

spywareblaster is a preinstall and takes up very little space but protects you from over 11,000 bad things automatically. The free version you must update manually... open the program, update it and then enable all protection for IE or Firefox if you use it for a browser! all you have to do!

Ccleaner is two programs in one...open and find the update button and download the latest files or program. Ccleaner is a temp cleaner and registry cleaner also....

For the temp cleaner click the analyze button and let it run, then click the Run button do this twice as some issues will not show up till others are removed first!

For the registry cleaner....highlight the registry block icon on the left side and then use the analyze button and then the run button. Do this twice also. but you do not need to use this portion of the program more than once every month or so unless you constantly are adding/removing software!

ATFcleaner is another temp file cleaner. This program does not install to your system but the icon is the whole program. Remove the icon and you lose the program......to use just click the icon and put a check in the select all space and click run....all there is to it!

These programs will keep your system clean. They work well with a anti-virus program and anti-spyware program which you should also have running.

To help speed up your computer....run these and then defrag your system.

Another free program is winpatrol. This program allows you to disable those pesky auto start programs that keep your system from booting very fast and also warns you of programs trying to auto start or changes a registry setting!

Last edited by Sami; 05-02-2010 at 11:38 PM..