View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 09:25 AM

About:
plswrk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plswrk View Post
Hi all,
I'm attempting to install Windows 2000 Professional using this tutorial on a pos (point of sale, a type of computer with the screen integrated, usually used for shop tills, stock keeping etc...) Posiflex with a TP6000 Motherboard, 512 Mb Ram, Celeron 1.2Ghz Processor, Samsung 80Gb Hard drive with 3 partitions all Fat32.C:\ partition is 16Gb.
I have got as far as the Networking Settings stage, whether Typical Settings Or Custom Settings is selected. Whichever option is chosen, even choosing Custom Settings and deselecting the 3 options like Tcp/ip etc..., all result in the progress bar showing "Completing configuration of distributed transaction coordinator..." and then the screen goes black followed by the Pc restarting itself to go through the whole F6 if you need to install additional drivers bit and on to the point where it restarts itself again.
I hope I have explained my problem in an understandable way.
Any help will be much appreciated.Thanks to all the info/advice posted that have enabled me to get even this far.

Regards, plswrk
Hi Again,
managed to finish installing Windows 2000, and running fine
William Wilson came up with the solutions in previous posts that worked for me.Just made a couple of changes to these two bits of advice for my setup:

1. William_Wilson on 05-11-2007, 01:50 PM

you could try a modification to the install, as i have come to like better:
-format the drive, and partition it with a small 500mb parition on the front of the drive. copy the i386 folder to it and then install dos to it as well. This will keep the install folders separate from the actual installation which will be on D:\ now.
This method also allows you to re-install without removing your drive again.

As I wanted to be very sure that Win2K would fit I made my partition 845mb.

2. Baked_Bean
When you copy the i386 folder use this DOS command ......
xcopy d:\i386 c:\i386 /s/e
where d:\ is the cdrom drive and c:\ is the hdd. The switches at the end will ensure that ALL folders will be copied, regardless.

Here, I thought I'd see if this would work with the command prompt from within XP Professional, rather than dos 7.1 (I'm very much a dos newbie), and it did, fantastic!

Thank you very much William