View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 12:36 PM

About:
lurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura about

I will repeat what I have previously stated.

Windows XP can not be installed and operated from a removeable device without some major registry changes.

This is because of windows XP's main core being controlled by the redundancy checks of the hardware that is installed on the system...If there is no hardware...XP cannot run as an Operating System. this is especially true about USB devices because of the way XP handles USB protocols when booting....it wishes to re-takeover the USB that is being used to begin with as some systems that support boot-from-USB may do so either via hard drive emulation or floppy drive emulation by the USB device; but usually not both. If you try to use a USB drive that's emulating a hard drive, but your system only supports floppy-drive emulation (or vice versa), you may be out of luck.

This is the cause of the failure to be able to install third party SATA drivers thru the F6 method. Which is why I don't mention or reccomend using a USB device to install windows xp to a computer.....it is basically a waste of time if your computer has a SATA harddrive. (There are changes being made all the time and this will eventually be over come)

The only reason that USB can now be used at all is because of some programs that Microsoft designed and used in their server operating system and because of some application software ( BartPE) that has just recently came out. and can now be used to boot xp (installed on a computer) from a flash drive or use embedded applications on a flash drive to be able to repair XP installations on a computer.

What is being debated now is just moronic as hell.

The difference is in symantics. People read the term installed and automatically respond to it being related to the same terms as installation of the operating system. The term should be inserted and not installed, plus the fact that communication is being fore-shortened because of
1)texting
2) phonics
3) search engines criteria for providing the best results to a query...in that the word(s) are deliberately mispelled but will show the same results as a correctly spelled word and/or a search statement is mis-stated by omitting words or convergence of words or even substitutions of words to again achieve the same results.
Quote:
Check out the key word phrase "XP will not install to a USB Flash drive" in google there are quite a list of suggestions... (b1caez01)
A perfect example of what I was saying. as all the references of the google search is actually about the use of inserting XP into a usb flash drive and using the flash drive to install xp to a computer...similar to how one installs an operating system to a computer without the use of a floppy of CD drive.

This is not about installing and running xp from a usb drive