View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 AM

About:
lurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura aboutlurkswithin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymarvin View Post
i bought a new western digital sata 500gb greenpower hard drive and when i try to install windows xp pro it shows that i only have 127 on the hard drive. when i format with the westerdigital disk it shows that i have my full 500gb. and when i boot xp i cant load f6 to install raid drivers. . can any one help me>> .
Two different issues here.

1) older computers did not support large drives. . Sometimes there is a BIOS setting that will allow you to enable Large Block Addressing(LBA) on a harddrive. If not then you may have to get a BIOS update to fic the issue.

2) Windows XP did not support large drives either (137 gig limit) This was addressed in a hot fix for SP1 installation.

Here is what Microsoft has to say:
How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in Windows XP
It will also explain how to enable LBA on some drives/bioses.

If you cannot get an BIOS update then the fix would be to re-partition your harddrive to use a 130 gig partition to install XP in and then use Disc management in XP to format the other unallocated space into a storage partition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymarvin View Post
i bought a new western digital sata 500gb greenpower hard drive and when i try to install windows xp pro it shows that i only have 127 on the hard drive. when i format with the westerdigital disk it shows that i have my full 500gb. and when i boot xp i cant load f6 to install raid drivers. . can any one help me>> .
Your motherboard must support a hardware RAID array in order to install the drivers...if not and you still wish to set up a RAID array you can install software RAID applications after the operating system is installed.

Last edited by lurkswithin; 09-19-2008 at 07:38 AM..