View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 02:58 PM

About:
tulpen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

The following method has been working for me to add an XP boot to an existing Vista. It has the advantages of not needing to repair the Vista boot AND of having the XP system drive installed as C:

1. Create the available space as described in the article

2. Using Disk Manager from Vista, create a new partition in that unallocated space -- don't use the XP install to do that.

3. Still in Disk Manager, set that new partition as Active. WARNING: That means that the machine will now be trying to boot from the empty partition. That's OK because the next thing you're going to do is install XP from a bootable CD. If you restart and then change your mind, you'll have to have some bootable utility to change the active partition again.

4. Boot from the XP installation CD and start the install. When you get to the step where you select the XP partition, you'll notice that your new target partition is C! That's because the active partition is always assigned that letter at this point. So your new partition will show as C and the existing Vista will show up as some other letter. So XP WILL be installed as C. Vista will remain C, too. Finish the install.

5. Once XP is running, copy NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and BOOT.ini from the XP partition to the Vista partition. This is required because the Vista partition will soon be the boot partition again .

6. Still from XP, use Disk Manager to change the Active partition back to the original Vista partition. The Vista partition's letter will show up as something other than C, doesn't matter, it will be C when booting Vista. Since the XP install never touched the Vista partition, NO repair is needed -- reboot and Vista will startup again.

7. Use EasyBCP as described to add the XP boot.

I can vouch from experience that this works very well. In fact you can have any number of Windows OSes all running as C using this method. You can also adjust drive letters using the HKLM/System/MountedDevices registry key. I've used this method to have 5 or 10 OSes installed in different partitions all at one time, and to restore various images to any partition and then fix the drive letters.
This post looked very promising to me so I went ahead and gave it a shot. I had the same problem as tony that upon installation of windows xp, setup would not recognize my new partition. I created a 66GB active partition using the Vista disk management tool, but when I rebooted, the c partition that Setup found was 133GB in size (the size of my vista partition BEFORE i shrunk it to make space for XP). I went ahead with good faith and tried installing XP on it but I got back to my original problem that after copying setup files, my computer WILL NOT continue the XP installation and instead give me an "Invalid BOOT.ini, NTDETECT failed" error message and restart over and over again. Now I'm back to recovering my computer using the recovery cds which takes a good half of a day to accomplish.

I wish someone would just have a solution =o/