View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 02:38 AM

About:
sreejmen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smachari View Post
Sir,
Now my last worry is whether I can manage with the booting with my Windows Vista, Recovery DVD? In your previous reply you have mentioned regarding the same as it will work. But it will help me if the steps are mentioned since each & every step is like thundering for me.

Anxiously awaiting your reply.

Regards,

Santosh
Santosh, backup your valuable data. Install XP with SATA drivers. Follow the steps exactly as William wrote. Read that article 10 times carefully. While doing each and every step, read the corresponding line carefully. If you follow those steps exactly as he mentioned, you will succeed.

As you wrote, you reserved 6 GB for XP installation. In my experience, at least 10 GB. If you are installing XP only, then 6 GB is enough. In my first trial, I gave only 5 GB to XP. Then again I did it with 20 GB. Now I've 100 GB for vista, 20 GB for XP, 10 GB for linux, 40 plus GB for my data.

Suppose if you can't succeed your xp installation in any unlikely event, you can restore the vista MBR at anytime by inserting recovery CD, and after some time, you will be present with options like Start up recovery, system restore....Command prompt. In this take command prompt and type the following.

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

these 2 lines will recover your vista mbr and after restarting your PC, vista will be loaded. remember, you've to remove your recovery CD before restarting PC.

While installing XP, it will ask you where you want your XP installation to go, you can see your partitions there on your screen. Select the one which you've reserved for XP. If you reserved 6 GB, you can this partition as 6 GB. It is always a good idea to give a disk label for all partitioned disks. For example, if you've Vista on C drive, label the drive as VISTA. If you've reserved xp installation in D drive, name it XP. So you can see these labels while installing XP. This will be more convenient and avoid any confusion.