View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 PM

About:
onemoretime001 is on a distinguished road

Default Dual Boot XP OS on a Vista computer

I am still looking to purchase this Gateway GT5662 which has a Vista OS. I need to also be able to use my XP OS and so I am going to add another internal HD - a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 500GB to install the XP OS. I have been searching articles on how to do this successfully and there seems to be several ways to go about it. I was on this one site - http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...2r02/12r02.asp

and the writer of the article said this,"The simplest way to implement the dual-drive shortcut is to shut down your system, temporarily disconnect your existing hard drive (which has your original OS), connect your new hard drive, and install the new operating system to the newly connected drive. When it is finished, just reconnect the old drive, press the hardware boot menu key, and select the hard drive that has your desired OS."

I know you need the drivers for XP to get the components to operate correctly but is it really that simple, disconnect, connect, install, reconnect.

I would appreciate any comments on this as it is just a little confusing on how to get my XP OS on this new computer.

Some data on the computer I want to buy:
MCP61PM-GM motherboard with an nVidia nForce 430 chipset
2.2-GHz AMD Phenom 9500 quad-core processor

Thanks ahead of time for the help.