View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 02:27 PM

About:
MikeMurder is on a distinguished road

Hi William, thank you for a great tutorial.
I have a problem but it's kinda different than usual, i followed the tutorial and created a 30gb partition on my Vista PC's 400gb C: drive. i wanted XP on because i belong to a gaming clan and the primary game we play (DCX mod) doesnt run on Vista.
everything seemed to be perfect until i came to select XP from the duel boot option and it wouldnt run.
i looked at your screenshot of your completed bcdedit file and compared it to mine, it was almost identical apart from 1 entry.
Under my Windows Boot Manager, the device was listed as "partition=s:" instead of C: like yours.

My PC is a philips Freevents media centre PC bought from PC World 3 weeks ago and though it only has a single hdd there is a small partition of 1.49gb labeled (system)S: that only has 43mb of hidden system files on it. what this is i dont know but i presume this is the fly in my ointment

anyway this was my problem but isnt why i am posting a request for help... i got frustrated and decided that i would just do without the old game and XP and would just use the 30gb partition as a backup drive, i formated the XP drive (which was labeled D: and my Vista is C: ) but now when i start up i get the duel boot screen despite having formatted the D: XP Partition lol.
I followed your tutorial to create the duel boot menu at startup but i am embarressed to ask for more help to remove the duel boot menu so my PC fires up straight into Vista again

sorry for the long winded post but i wanted to explain things fully, and i am sorry if this question has already been answered... i was reading through from the start but this thread is 32 pages long lol

thank you