View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM

About:
Sharkfreak06 is on a distinguished road

Default Wireless Network is "Local Only"

Hey guys,

I've been having a problem with my wireless router (Dlink) lately, and no one can figure it out.

Basically, I live in an apartment with one roommate, I have a desktop with Vista, he has a laptop with XP. Right now we subscribe to Comcast, and we're trying to hook up a wireless network for both computers. We've done this in the past, but a couple months ago the power went out, and when it came back on... it hasn't worked since.

I first tried to hook everything up through my computer (the desktop). It could plug directly into the wall, but when I tried to set up the wireless network so my roommate could use it, it said "Local Only". I couldn't find anything to switch it so I could actually connect to the Internet, so we tried to hook it up to my roommate's computer... same thing. I can't even hook the router up to the Comcast box and his laptop up to the router at the same time... there's just no connection.

I figure the router must be junk... but when we plug the router into the Comcast box, the "Dlink" network does appear... it's just "Local Only" and can't connect to the Internet.

Is the router junk or is there something else we can do?

TIA